Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency
Addiction for links to sites not specifically about chemical addiction.
- Alcohol -- AACAP Facts for Families Brochure #3
- Al-ANON and AL-TEEN "For families and friends of alcoholics"
- Drug Abuse -- AACAP Facts for Families Brochure #3
- Dual Diagnosis Website Kathleen Sciacca's site devoted to co-occurring substance abuse and mental illness
- Cocaine Anonymous "A fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other so that they may solve their common problem"
- Father's Drinking Predicts Kids' Disruptive Behavior The more the fathers reported drinking (up to 40, 50, 80 drinks per day!) the greater the chance their youngsters had behavioral problems such as attention deficit disorder or oppositional defiant disorder
- Intervention Support Information about intervention and a toll-free number to put you in touch with interventionists
- National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information "Electronic access to searchable databases and substance abuse prevention materials that pertain to alcohol, tobacco, and drugs"
- QuitSmokingSupport.com Excellent quitting smoking support and advice to help you to quit smoking.
- Stop-Smoking-Tips.com "...to assist you to become tobacco-free forever..."
- Substance Abuse Treatment -- AACAP Facts for Families Brochure #41
- Substance Abuse -- Alcohol, Nicotine, and Other Drugs -- from SelfHelp Magazine. Many good articles, including the following as of 2004:
- Addiction: Why Quit? by Phil Rich, Ed.D., MSW
- Anger Management in Sobriety by Thomas Hollander, Ph.D.
- APA Recommends Ban on Tobacco Advertising to Youth APA Press Release
- The Behaviors of Addiction by Phil Rich, Ed.D., MSW
- Coping with Urges by Robert Westermeyer, Ph.D.
- Drinking Behavior Seems To Change With Age by Michel Bonin, B.A., Donald McCreary, Ph.D., and Stanley Sadava, Ph.D.
- Fraternity and Sorority Membership: Moderate Drinking Is Norm For Most After College by Kenneth J. Sher, Ph.D. and Bruce D. Bartholow, Ph.D.
- Health Consequences of Smoking by Marlene Maheu, Ph.D.
- Helping People You Care About with Their Substance Abuse Problems by Ron Fagan M.A., Ph.D.
- Historical Gender Differences in Tobacco Use by Marlene Maheu, Ph.D.
- How To Challenge Your Internal Struggle Against Recovery by Larry Tyler, M.Ed., LDAC
- Long-Term Study of Attempts to Quit Smoking APA Press Release
- Moderate Drinking? That's not Drinking by Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
- Nicotine Freedom - Integrating the National Cancer Institute Model - "4-A's" by M.M. Maheu, Ph.D.
- Nicotine Freedom - Learning From Your History by M. M. Maheu, Ph.D.
- Psychological Research Offers Reasons For Smoking Behavior by The APA
- Quitting Smoking: Common Errors by Marlene M. Maheu, Ph.D.
- Recovering from Addiction: The Stages of Recovery by Phil Rich, Ed.D., MSW
- Sensation Seekers at Risk for Smoking by Kenneth A. Perkins, Ph.D., Debra Gerlach, Michelle Broge and James E. Grobe, Ph.D.
- Should You Be Concerned About Your Drinking? by Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
- Social & Biological Influences of Smoking by Marlene Maheu, Ph.D.
- Some Smokers Use Nicotine to "Self-Medicate for Depression APA Press Release
- Teens Who Do Not Experiment With Tobacco, Alcohol or Marijuana Found to be Better Adjusted by Doug Fizel, APA Public Affairs Office
- Tobacco Use Does Not Alleviate Stress But Actually Increases It by Andy Parrott, Ph.D.
- Treatment and Prevention of Problem Gambling by Bryan Gibson, Ph.D., David M. Sanbonmatsu, Ph.D., and Steven S. Posavac,Ph.D.
- Understanding Addiction by Phil Rich, Ed.D., MSW
- Using Visual Imagery on Your Nicotine Freedom Day (Quit Day) by M. M. Maheu, Ph.D.
- What are the most effective ways to stop cigarette smoking? by A. L. Seidner, Ph.D.
- Who Me ... Stop Smoking Again? by Marlene M. Maheu, Ph.D.
- Substance Abuse -- articles in Psychiatric Times, a comprehensive online magazine:
- Szasz.com Thomas Szasz explicates the Libertarian position. "Either we have the right to poison and kill ourselves with food, alcohol, and drugs, or we don't." Reprint of a journal article. See also Limbaugh's Disease on this site.
- Web of Addictions "Dedicated to providing accurate information about alcohol and other drug addictions"
Write to Dr. Dewey at email@example.com.
Back to Psych Web Home Page ...or.... Top of this file.
Don't see what you need? Psych Web has over 1,000 pages, so it may be elsewhere on the site. Do a site-specific Google search using the box below.