|This information is made available in order to facilitate research, mentorship, and teaching opportunities among scholars interested in the psychological study of religion. ALL other uses are prohibited.
||Name and TitleInstitutional AffiliationMailing Address
Email AddressResearch Interests
School of History, Philosophy, Religion & Classics, University of
Queensland, Australia 4072
Sport and Spiritaulity; Palliative Care and Spiritual Faith
- Lone Sailors and Spiritual Insights: Cases of Sport and Peril at Sea. Mellen Studies in Sports, Volume 1. Lewiston, New York (USA); Queenston, Ontario (Canada); and Lampeter, Ceredigion (Wales): The Edwin Mellen Press, 2005.
- Biography, Autobiography and the Spiritual Quest. London and Washington: Cassell, 1997. (Paperback Issued May 2000)
- "Dominance Hierarchies and Health: Creating Personal Zones of Spiritual Power and Healing in Modern Medicine," Journal of Religion and Health 45/3 (2006), pp. 1-18.
- "Under Sail Alone at Sea: A Study of Sport as Spiritual Practice," Australian
Religion Studies Review 18/1 (2005), pp. 3-24.
"Mel Gibson's Big Gamble: 'The Passion of Christ'," Pastoral Psychology 53/4
- "Mel Gibson's Big Punt: 'The Passion of Christ'," Australian Religion Studies
Review 17/2 (2004), 117-119.
- "Donald Capps' Jesus: A Psychological Biography: Review and Critique," Pastoral Psychology 14/44 (2002), 467-472.
- "Spiritual Autobiography as the Magical Deification of the Body," Soundings: An Interdisciplinary Journal 84/1-2 (Spring/Summer, 2001), 601-621.
- "Mortal Losses, Vital Gains: The Role of Spirituality," Journal of Religion and Health 39/4 (2000), 329-337.
- "Fermentation, Distillation, and the Life of the World to Come: Bodily Reverie in Western Christian Thought," Sophia: The Journal for Philosophical Theology, Cross-Cultural Philosophy of Religion and Ethics 39/2 (2000), 104-116.
- "Could Be Worse: Converting Mortal Losses into Vital Gains," Studies in Spirituality 10 (2000), 51-65.
Psychology and Religion Courses, Seminars, or Programs Taught
Psychoanalysis, Death, Health, Spirituality
Relevant Degrees or Certificates Available at Institution
Psychology of Religion, Religion and the Therapies,
Religious Life-Writing, Death and Dying, Health and Healing, Religion and
the Social Sciences
BA, BA (Honours), MA, PhD